I am extremely proud to announce that Chromixium 1.0 final, stable version is ready for download from Sourceforge right now.
Chromixium combines the elegant simplicity of the Chromebook with the flexibility and stability of Ubuntu’s Long Term Support release. Chromixium puts the web front and center of the user experience. Web and Chrome apps work straight out of the browser to connect you to all your personal, work and education networks. Sign into Chromium to sync all your apps and bookmarks. When you are offline or when you need more power, you can install any number of applications for work or play, including LibreOffice, Skype, Steam and a whole lot more. Security updates are installed seamlessly and effortlessly in the background and will be supplied until 2019. You can install Chromixium in place of any existing operating system, or alongside Windows or Linux.
- Download Chromixium-1.0-i386-hybrid.iso (32 bit download for PC) (update 28/04/2015: now supports transfer to USB using dd command).
- The MD5 file verification checksum is 8bb8afef75b4832756fb6e47f8278b2c.
- If you prefer, you can download Chromixium as a torrent: Chromixium-1.0-i386-Hybrid.torrent.
The live username for logging in and for launching the installer is user.
Over the coming days and weeks, the focus will shift from technical to documentation. There is already some useful Guidebooks and a Wiki site. For help and support downloading, running and installing Chromixium, please visit our user Forums. All of this will be updated shortly, please bear with us! If you haven’t already, check out our Google+ and YouTube pages.
The technical low-down
- Chromixium 1.0 is a 32 bit operating system for x86 and compatible computer systems.
- Chromixium is based on Ubuntu Linux 14.04 Trusy Tahr Long Term Support release.
- Chromixium runs on top of the Linux kernel 3.13.0-51.84 PAE with support for up to 64GB RAM.
- Chromixium contains the Open Source Chromium web browser, providing access to Chrome and Google services. Google sign-in is optional.
- Adobe PepperFlashPlugin is provided to enhance the browsing experience and we ask you to accept Adobe’s license when you install Chromixium.
- See here for minimum requirements.